Pre-Matric Scholarships for the Children of Unclean Occupations India
The main aim of Pre-Matric Scholarships for the Children of Unclean Occupations India is to provide an opportunity to the children to study who cannot support their basis livelihood needs. Under pre Matric scholarships, government provides financial aid to children of:
• Sweepers having traditional link with scavenging
• Scavengers engaged in manual cleaning, cleaning of manholes and open drains
• Tanners and Flayers
• Beneficiaries under the self-employment scheme for rehabilitation of manual Scavengers (SRMS), born before the rehabilitation of their parent/guardian under SRMS
Eligibility for the scholarship
• Scholarship will be permissible only to Indian Nationals irrespective of the religion, actively engaged in scavenging of dry lavatory, and other similar unclean occupations like flay and tanning only.
• It is very difficult to draw a line between sweepers and scavengers as both are doing job of scavenging. Hence, the advantage of this scheme will be available to the children of those sweepers only who have traditional links with scavenging.
• Children of people covered under self-employment SRMS (Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual scavengers) born before the rehabilitation of their parents are also eligible. However, any child born after the rehabilitation would not be eligible.
• Children who are born in a family who are not engaged in such occupations but have been adopted by such parents who are engaged in such occupation are eligible for Pre-matric scholarship only after a gap of three years from the date of adoption. Authority will make sure that the child is living with the adopted parents since the date of adoption.
• Parents need to submit copies of occupation certificate to avail benefit of Pre-Matric Scholarships for the Children of Unclean Occupations to the state government or union territory administration.
• There is no constraint as to the number of children of the similar parents who would be entitled for award of scholarship.